Thursday, October 1, 2009

Housewarming Gangsta Style

While cross stitching is on my mind, let me share what I made this summer with my floss and needle.  I don't usually have a hankerin' to cross-stitch during the summer months because I like to be busy outdoors when the weather's nice.  I wanted this project to be done by September, though, so I did a lot of stitching in the shade this summer while my daughter played in the backyard wading pool. 

I have a sister who just finished building a house.  Her first house ever (she has been a renter up until now) and we are all very proud of her.  I'll be throwing her a housewarming party as soon as she finishes painting and gets all moved in but I made her this little treasure as an advanced congratulatory gift:



Yes, it says "Fo' Shizzle, welcome to our hizzle."  Yes, it is funny.  Think of it as a satirical piece - combining the two drastically different worlds of cross stitch and 21st Century "gangster" lingo.  Traditionally, cross stitch is conservatitve in nature and often features a scripture verse or depicts an oh-so-wholsome scene with teddy bears or flowers or a nice sampler.  We don't expect to see a passing trend (courtesty of Snoop Dogg, I believe) immortalized on Aida on the wall of a white girl from Washington's home.

I don't know if anyone else will find the humor in it, but I know I do and I'm sure my sister will, too!

Details:
I used an Old English alphabet that I found in one of my cross stitch books and I found a great resource for .pdf files of 9,10,11, and 14-count graph paper that came in very handy for the design layout. 

 
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments. I like 'em. If you have a question please email me (my email is on the sidebar) and I promise I'll reply in a timely fashion.