Wednesday, November 4, 2009

A Tute for a Hoot!


While searching for this recipe I discovered that it was invented by Natalie Riggin of Olympia, WA (not far from where I live) and it won her Pilsbury Bake-Off accolades in 1956!  Here's where I learned that little tidbit and what follows is the recipe with a couple of tutorial photos for the owl cookies we made this Halloween.

  • 1 c. brown sugar
  • 3/4 c. butter, softened
  • 1 t. vanilla
  • 1 egg
  • 2 1/4 c. flour
  • 2 t. baking powder
  • 1/2 t. salt
  • 1 1/2 oz. unsweetened baking chocolate, melted
  • 1/4 t. baking soda
  • chocolate chips
  • whole cashews and/or almonds
Beat brown sugar and butter 1-2 minutes until light and fluffy.  Beat in vanilla and egg.  Beat in flour, powder and salt until dough forms.  Place 1 cup of dough in a small bowl and stir in melted chocolate and baking soda.

On a piece of plastic wrap, press half of the light-colored dough into a 10" x 4" strip.
Shape half of the chocolate dough into a roll 10" long (kind of like a giant tootsie roll) and lay it on top of the light dough.


Roll the light dough up around the chocolate dough. 


Wrap up this log in plastic wrap.  Now repeat this process for the remaining dough.  You'll end up with two plastic-wrapped logs that need to be refrigerated for 1 hour.  After an hour, working with one log at a time, unwrap it and cut it into 1/4" slices (about 22 pieces total).

 

Select two pieces that are similar in size and pinch an ear shape into each one.


Place the two eye pieces, touching, on a cookie sheet.  Use a butterknife to make a couple of indentations on each ear.


Now, lay a chocolate chip in the center of each brown eye spot.  Then press a nut of your choice into the center of the face and that's it!



Bake a sheet of owl cookies at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes.  I found that mine needed the full 10, but ovens vary, so there ya go.  I think I ended up with a total of 22 cookies.  The chocolate chips take a couple of hours to set/harden, so keep that in mind.


I hope you get a chance to try these.  They're really simple and four-year-olds can help with the nut and chocolate chip placement.  Happy hooting!


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments. I like 'em. If you have a question please email me (my email is on the sidebar) and I promise I'll reply in a timely fashion.