Sunday, December 27, 2009

I Made Some Peppermint Bark. Arf! Arf!

I made it a couple of weeks ago, actually.  We had quite a collection of broken candy canes from the local Santa Parade that we attended at the beginning of December.  Note to self:  if you're ever in a parade, be sure to throw candy that doesn't shatter when it hits the pavement.  

When I stumbled across this recipe for peppermint bark from Ellen over at The Long Thread I knew it'd be a perfect application for our parade candy canes.  She also shared some "Wishing you a sweet holiday" labels for readers to download and print.  So, I did just that and put together a delightful Christmas gift for Susannah's preschool teacher. 



The bark was very simple to make.  We made half of the recipe and it was enough to fill one 12oz. tea tin and one 24oz. tea tin (with a handful left over for us to munch on).  We lined the tins with parchment paper and kept the bark refrigerated until we were ready to deliver it. 

I also came across this peppermint label while perusing Lime Gardenias.  I used it on the back to cover up some of the evidence that these used to be tea tins. 


I printed the labels onto white cardstock and cut them out.  I used a spray-on adhesive on the backs of the lables and they attached very securely to the tins.  I also used some craft glue to add a finishing touch to the lids.


Overall, a nice, sweet holiday gift for teachers or neighbors, etc.  I'm also kickin' around the idea of making some for Valentine's day with the leftover candycanes we'll have after we take the tree down.  Perhaps a bit of red food coloring would make them a pepto-pink color suitable for February 14th?  We'll see!


Pin It

2 comments:

  1. I love what you did with the Sweet Wishes label! You can be sure I will have more downloads for Valentines Day- it's my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love the overall look :) I love the tin...I love the label....ooo and I bet I'll love what's inside too ;)...Hope you had a great Christmas :)and a wonderful new year

    ReplyDelete

Comments. I like 'em. If you have a question please email me (my email is on the sidebar) and I promise I'll reply in a timely fashion.