Monday, February 8, 2010

Supercute Sea Creatures...Simplified and Valentine-ized!

If you've seen any of the posts about my daughter's somewhat recent sea creature-themed birthday party, you probably recognize these as futuregirl's Supercute Sea Creatures.  They were so cute on the birthday party invitations that I decided to use them again - but this time they've been reincarnated as valentines! 



These guys have been simplified (we used craft glue and glitter glue instead of stitching) and valentine-ized (we added some hearts, candy, and lovey-dovey notes). 

The trickiest to cut out was the octopus...but well worth it because he's so darn cute!  Susannah used a heart hole punch to make the "hug me" hearts that the octopi are holding in their tentacles.

 

The jellyfish were by far the easiest to make because of their simple shape.  Susannah enjoyed snipping the yarn for the tentacles.  It's not pictured, but we put a little note on them that read, "I turn to jelly whenever you're near, Valentine."


The starfish were simple to make as well.  I had the opportunity to employ some great puns making their notes that read, "Happy Valentine's Day to the only star I sea."  Susannah didn't really get it, but she humored me.



If you haven't figured it out already, each felt sea creature is a topper for a valentine treat.  We used Tootsie Pops, flat valentine suckers, and pencils.  We had to enlarge futuregirl's pattern to get the suckers and Tootsie Pops to fit.  Tasty and cute!  The perfect valentine.

These are fairly simple to figure out but I'm going to be posting a tutorial for them in the very near future, anyhow.  I heartily recommend you give them a try. 

If you're not interested in making valentines, you can still pop over to future girl's craft blog or the Supercute Sea Creatures Flickr group and check out what other people have created with her sea creature patterns.

I leave you now with one last supercute, valentine-ized, sea creature photo:

 

Pin It

14 comments:

  1. I like them all, but octopus is my favorites :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable! I love the octopi (? is that plural?) as well! (but they're all cute!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are awesome! If I had more time I'd be totally tempted to make these for a Valentine party we're going to. But too many kids and not enough time. Maybe next year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - I love the jelly fish note - and those hearts on the tentacles really top it off. If only I hadn't imposed a 'must finish one project off before starting another' rule on myself! Guess there's always next year

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, those are so precious! You did such a great job adapting the pattern, and I *heart* your puns :)

    Your details really make these go beyond cute...fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very very cute! Octopus 'hug me' is very clever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there! I just stumbled across your blog...so glad I did, but oh how I wish it wasn't so late! I'm a preschool teacher and my little ones would have had a ball with these. I could use this idea for any holiday/occasion! Aside from cuteness factor, the cost of these supplies is totally budget friendly. Thanks for sharing : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those turned out so cute. I think I'm going to borrow your ideas to make pencils and suckers for my daughter's party.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh, could those sea creatures be any cuter? I love the patterns you put on the jellyfish. Thanks for the links, I'm excited to rifle through my felt stash for some good sea creature colours. :D (And I may make an alligator or two, too.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a cute octopus! I found you through the TT&J linky party.

    I featured you today on my blog, and I would love for you to check it out!

    Amanda

    Frillsandfrolic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Comments. I like 'em. If you have a question please email me (my email is on the sidebar) and I promise I'll reply in a timely fashion.