Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Bumblebees and Sunflowers

Someone has summer on the brain.  Too much rainy, blustery western Washington weather will do that to a gal. 

My husband's birthday was few days ago, and although I was busy with Easter preparations, I was able to make these goodies for a small birthday party (just the three of us because he's not much for fanfare). 



I know I've seen these bee hive cupcakes in a magazine before but can not for the life of me remember what publication it was.  I ended up just doing a Google image search for "bumble bee hive cupcakes" and came up with a handful of results, each one slightly different - none of them with a good set of directions.  After examining the photos, though, I was fairly confident that I could pull off my own version of them.

There was some trial and error (okay, lots of error) on the "how do I get yellow stripes on these chocolate-covered almonds" part, but everything else went off without a hitch.


While I was Googling the subject of bumble bee cupcakes, I came across some neato sunflower cupcakes that I just had to try...they kinda go with the bee theme and my husband does not discriminate when it comes to treats, so I added a few sunflowers to the mix.


A Google image search will provide many sunflower cupcake photos and no two are alike.  As with the bee hive cupcakes, I examined all the photos and techniques listed and used bits and pieces of some to make my own version.  By the way, I will be posting a short tutorial for the beehive cupcakes and the sunflower cupcakes later.  Looking at all the Google results is fun, but it gets a bit overwhelming and time consuming trying to sift through all the information.  Since I didn't find a tutorial for either that I though was "just right," I figured I'd make my own.






Pin It

15 comments:

  1. I just had a birthday as well...send over a cupcake! one of each please! ;) You did a great job..they are gorgeous! Trial and error is great when it comes to food...you get to eat all the errors :)
    Happy Belated to your hubby

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the cupcakes! Those bees are just adorable! Can't wait for the tutorial on those :) Happy belated bday to your dh too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! These are really great! What a wonderful surprise for your husband :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those little bees are adorable and I love the sunflower cupcakes! Yours turned out beautiful!! You inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are the cutest cupcakes EVER! Love them! Great job name-twin!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Droooooooooool!!! Those are Lucious and simply adorable!
    Happy Belated to Hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for joining the Celebration Party! These are amazing. I love th elittle bees and the sunflowers are TDF! Simply gorgeous! You did an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those bumble bees look sooooo real! Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. they look sooo delicious! wow...I could never decorate a cake...let alone successfully baking one :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. your beehive cupcakes are freaking incredible! i love them! i'll attampt them but i doubt they'll turn out as cute! BTW, i'm your newest follower from MBC.
    www.fanutritionwriter.blogspot.com
    www.twitter.com/healthyolga

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are absolutely gorgeous! I might have to make these for my daughter's birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love these! Featured this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. If there was any way I could make these they would be so perfect for a brunch I'm planning. Too wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have summer on the brain too! These are very cute and clever!

    ReplyDelete

Comments. I like 'em. If you have a question please email me (my email is on the sidebar) and I promise I'll reply in a timely fashion.