Thursday, April 22, 2010

Cover Me, I'm Goin' Tin!

It was actually the tins that needed to be covered, not I.   


You may already be aware of the fact that I enjoy using tins, jars and other containers for gift giving.  It's a great way to recycle and the spruced up containers can be personalized to suit the receiver, which makes for a thoughtful handmade gift that's sure to be appreciated.  So, as a little nod to Earth Day, I'm sharing these three containers that I've dolled up with some scrapbooking paper, some spray glue, and a bit of ribbon and buttons.


This one is a baby formula can.  My daughter is four years old now, which means that I've been hanging on to this can for quite some time.  Yes, I hoard containers.  I can't bear to toss them out because - what if I need one for a crafty purpose some day?  Anyhoo, I saved the little scoop that came with it so I think I'll search the internet for a good drink mix recipe and give it to my grandma for Mother's Day. 



Preschool is over at the end of May, so I'm going to fill this little tea tin with caramel candies and Susannah can give it to her teacher...not terribly different from the tin of peppermint bark we gave her for Christmas.  I love, love, love these tins because they can be used over and over again for so many purposes!  Also, the lids are clear so you can get a sneak peek at what's inside AND they stay closed securely.  Not to mention the fact that they come packed with delicious tea for me to enjoy before I scrub them out and re-use them.


This little blue and white number with the red hearts is a Pirouline wafers tin.  Guess who got to eat all the hazelnut wafers?  Don't judge me!  I had to!  I needed the tin for a craft project.  (They complimented my tea quite nicely.)  I'm not sure what I'll use this one for.  The hearts make it kind of Valentine-ish so maybe I'll stash it away until next February.

Oh, and here's a tea tin that I covered and sent off to the winner of the Handful of Pinwheels Giveaway:



To review:  covering containers is fun, fun, fun and simple, simple, easy.  I'll post a tutorial for the method I used at a later date  {here's the tutorial!}.  Hopefully sooner than later.  Happy Earth Day!


Pin It

6 comments:

  1. Such a cute idea! Love that apple ribbon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get the pinwheels and the tin? Ok, now I'm just giddy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. such lovely tins - just wish i had some tins as nice as yours to decorate! dont think baked beans tins will work as well lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love containers,tins, random boxes I'llk eep even like chocolate tin cans I use em to keep my makeup in them lolol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea! I too like to hoard containers, though I will never in my lifetime be able to use all of them!Great idea for making them pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh - I love it - I am do the same thing - I never 'wrap' gifts - I either make fabric gift bags or fix up containers...

    I am so glad to know I am not the only person on the planet who is obsessed with decorating up cans and boxes!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments. I like 'em. If you have a question please email me (my email is on the sidebar) and I promise I'll reply in a timely fashion.