Saturday, April 17, 2010

How Many Tentacles Does Your Crescent Roll Have?

Friday was our day to bring a snack for preschool.  The week's lesson theme was under the sea, so I knew that the internet gods were smiling upon me when I randomly came across these crescent roll creations. 


Aren't they great?!  The kids loved them.  Some super-simple directions for making these delicious octopi can be found at Little Nummies for Little Tummies.  Their directions are for a Blue Ringed Octopus, specifically.  I altered mine a bit to reflect a preschooler's general concept of what an octopus looks like - eight legs, bulbous body, two eyes...I like to keep things as simple as possible when it's the morning-of and I don't want anything to go wrong!


I wish I had discovered this idea sooner because they would have been perfect for the sea creature birthday party we had for Susannah last year.

Here's a nice aerial shot of the cephalopods in their natural habitat (parchment paper).  I wonder if Jacques Cousteau ever came across this species in any of his underwater excursions.


Notice the mini chocolate chip eyes.  They allow for great visibility in the warm, murky waters of the Parchment Paper sea - where the creatures spend most of their time holding perfectly still so as not to attract the attention of thier predators (hungry preschoolers).


Pin It

7 comments:

  1. What a great idea! Have to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are sooooooo cute!!
    Hi! Stopping by from MBC. Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!! they turned out great!!! you did a fantastic job!! Thanks for letting me know you made them!!

    ~ Kellie ~

    ReplyDelete
  4. I Love this! Super cute! I would love it if you linked up to my Talk About it Tuesday party because you have such cute ideas!

    http://bloggerchixdesigns.blogspot.com/2010/04/im-currently-reading-marketing-book.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute idea, my son would love doing this. Thanks for passing it on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea. I think my kids would love this with dinner one night!

    ReplyDelete

Comments. I like 'em. If you have a question please email me (my email is on the sidebar) and I promise I'll reply in a timely fashion.