Monday, May 3, 2010

Hooray! Hooray! The First of May!

I started writing this post on May 1st, but life happened and now it's May 3rd.  Happy belated May Day!

I'm so happy I found a tutorial for this umbrella craft over at Everything Except the Grill...just in time for May Day!  Susannah and I whipped some up yesterday and then stuffed them with bluebells this morning. 


They made for some darn cute May baskets which we delivered to family and friends late this morning.  Susannah had a blast sneaking up to front porches and quietly hanging the umbrellas from doorknobs and mailboxes.  Then, we'd make a mad dash back to the car and fumble with her carseat buckles before Dad drove us away to the next stop.  I should have had a sign taped to my rear end that said "Happy May Day" because that's what most people saw when they answered their doorbells this morning.  It's hard to be quick and stealthy when your kid's still in a carseat!

I know it's a little late for this year, but perhaps next May you might want to try these.  Check out the link above for a great tutorial.  Susannah and I tweaked ours a bit because we wanted to use fresh flowers and I had some leftover spring-colored candy canes that made perfect umbrella handles.

We cut the umbrella shape out of dessert-sized paper plates and then painted them with watercolors - by far the most enjoyable part for Susannah.



Then we used the other half of the paper plate (with the scallops cut off to make a smooth edge) as a back piece so that our umbrella shape could actually be a container for short-stemmed flowers.  We glued a little knob fashioned from paper to the very tip of the umbrella and then used tacky glue to stick the two plate pieces together, back to back.  Some clothespins came in handy to hold the pieces in place while they dried.  We glued and taped the candy cane to the inside of the back plate and gave it plenty of time to dry.  We also ran out of candy canes and had to use construction paper for some of the handles.



I printed out (onto cardstock) this delightful May Day poem that I found over at Skip to My Lou.  I didn't use it, but the site actually has a .pdf version of these tags that you can print out.  We glued our tags to the back of the umbrellas.


Then we stuffed them with flowers and delivered them!  Some of the umbrellas had to be suspended from a loop of ribbon because the crook of the candycane was too narrow to fit over some of the doorknobs we encountered. 


Happy Belated May Day, Everyone!



Pin It

8 comments:

  1. My goodness - this is adorable! Love the umbrealla! Super cute! Thanks so much for stopping by and joining the Sunday Showcase Party! I greatly appreciate it! Hope you have a wonderful week! Hope to see you again Sunday! ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute - what a sweet idea

    ReplyDelete
  3. vesna said, women you are an artist, where you got this blriliant ideas. Now I am 66 old but never had artistic fealings. My grandchildren woul like to make something with me, but how.....? greatings from Adriatic sea, from Croatia,Europa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Megan, this is so precious! We love that your kids helped put a smile on the faces of your friends and family. We bet Suzannah was bursting with excitement. You're one of the featured ideas on tomorrow's Show & Tell!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is darling. I am featuring it at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com. Grab my "featured" button.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just saw this at Someday Crafts- what an adorable idea! My little boy would love to paint his own and then have a place to put the picked flowers/ weeds he brings me. This is one I will definelty try at home- thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This brings back so many memories of May Day when I was a kid. I love this craft and will probably make it myself. I'm featuring it on my new blog, tutorialsandpatterns.blogspot.com. Grab a "featured" button if you want.

    ReplyDelete

Comments. I like 'em. If you have a question please email me (my email is on the sidebar) and I promise I'll reply in a timely fashion.