Tuesday, May 11, 2010

A Sweet Tutorial for Beehive Cupcakes

Let me start out by saying that these beehive cupcakes are in no way an original idea from yours truly.  I saw a photo of them somewhere - a magazine, a blog, flickr?  I don't know for sure where I spotted them first, but it was love at first sight!  I Googled the heck out of "beehive cupcakes" and gleaned all the information I could from my search results.  Then, I tried my hand at these sweet morsels and took photos along the way.  That being said, this tutorial is brought to you in part by this recipe at Culinary.net, a handful of beehive cupcake photos floating around on the world wide web, and what I learned from trial and error.

View my original beehive cupcake post here.

You're going to need:
white chocolate chips
chocolate covered almonds
slivered almonds
yellow food coloring
red food coloring
shortening
wax paper
some cooled cupcakes
frosting
pastry bag or a plastic Ziploc bag

The trickiest part is making the stripes.
Put 1/4 cup of white chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl.  Add four or so drops of yellow food coloring (you can add more at any point if you want to change the color) and toss/mix it around with a spoon.  Add 1/2 tsp. of shortening.

Microwave at 70% power for 30 seconds.  Stir it well even though it's not very melted yet.  Microwave for 30 more seconds (all microwaving should be at 70% power) and stir again.  Microwave for another 15 seconds and stir again.  This should be the last round of nuking.  Your concoction should be yellow, totally melted and drizzle easily off of your spoon when you lift it above the bowl.  At any point you can microwave for another 10-15 seconds to get the consistency where you want it.

Lay out about six chocolate covered almonds on a piece of wax paper with plenty of space between each.  Use your spoon to lift a scoop of melted concoction and let it begin to drizzle off.  You want to have a steady drizzle going throughout these next steps so that your stripes are straight and consistent.   

Drizzle on the wax paper next to an almond and slowly move the drizzle across the surface of the almond and end at the wax paper on the other side of the almond.  You'll probably have to re-load your spoon every couple of stripes.  This'll take a couple of tries to get the hang of it.  These pictures show my first couple attempts and will help you get the idea of how best to execute your drizzle...fo' shizzle.





You'll notice that there's quite a bit of "wasted" drizzle on the wax paper, but that's the best method I found for making straight lines.  You'll also notice a lot of drizzle on the bowl.


Make as many almonds as you think you'll need for your cupcakes.  I used two bees on each cupcake but they'd look just as cute with one or three or four!

Leave these bees alone for awhile.  They can dry/harden/set while you frost the cupcakes.

The sweetest beehive you'll ever taste!
First, you have to do a bit of construction.  Cut one of your cupcakes into slices about 1/2 inch thick.  Then cut them into squares.  See the photo below to get a better idea of the size  you'll need.  Use a dab of frosting to secure the square to the top of a cupcake.  This'll give your hive a nice height without having to apply a ton of frosting and it'll prevent the frosting from caving in on itself.  You're going to need one square for each beehive you want to make.


Now make your frosting whatever color you think a beehive should be.  I started with a tub of cream cheese frosting and added two drops of yellow food coloring and one drop of red.  It made a really light - but not bright - yellowish color.

Scoop your frosting into a pastry bag or one corner of a Ziploc bag.  I didn't have a circle tip large enough so I went without a tip and the opening of the pastry bag happened to be the perfect size.  About a 1/2 inch diameter is what you want, so if you're using a Ziploc bag snip off the corner accordingly.

Beginning at the base of the cupcake and squeeze the frosting around the cupcake in a spiral fashion...slowly working up to the top.


There's a nice hive shape for ya.  The stripes on your bees should be set by now, so press a couple of them into the frosting.  Now use the slivered almonds to make some wings.  Just poke them into the frosting on either side of the bee body. 




Refrigerate so no drooping or sliding-off-of-the-frosting occurs. 

Thanks for sticking with me while I bumbled through these directions.  I hope my incessant rambling didn't sting too much.  What?  Did you really think I could make it through a whole post with no puns?

One last thing before I go.  I love seeing what other people have made using my rambling tutorials and I'll feature them on my blog if you give me permission.  So, if you try this tutorial, share some photos with me!







Pin It

22 comments:

  1. These are adorable! I will file this one for sure. I am thinking they would be cute for a baby shower or buggy birthday party. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [11 May 02:00pm GMT]. Thanks, Maria

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! They are bee-utiful! one pun for another! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [11 May 10:02pm GMT]. Thanks, Maria

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't get enough of this...I wanna eat some..:)
    Come share your ideas with us at our saturday linky party!

    nv-craftenvy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my! These are too cute.

    Thanks so much for linking to Sugar & Spice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. these are so cute, and thanks for a great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These turned out SO cute! I made a beehive cake a few years ago using fondant for the bee's, but I also used sliced almonds for my wings! CUTE!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great ideas!! You did a really good job on those!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Omigosh these are ADORABLE...thanks so much for the how-to. I'd never have figured out what you used or how you got the "hive" without it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So adorable! Thanks for sharing the tutorial...these are super cute! Thanks so much for joining the Sunday Showcase. I greatly appreciate it! Hope you are enjoying your week. ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  12. All I can say is, are there leftovers??? They look so stinking cute and yummy!! Thanks for linking up!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. these are so cute, I will have to try making them...

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh my, those are too cute! thanks for stopping by my blog--good luck on my giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  15. absolutely beautiful! you are very talented! Thanks for stopping by the Cupcake Carnival! Be sure to come back and enter the giveaways.

    xoxo,
    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are adorable. I love the little bees.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are so cute! I would have never thought there was some extra cake under the hive of frosting... sneaky. I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love these cupcakes, thanks for letting me share them on my site!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love cupcakes! This post just made me so hungry. They look so yummy! I would love to try them out! :)
    Visit http://www.boardbookalbums.com/

    ReplyDelete

Comments. I like 'em. If you have a question please email me (my email is on the sidebar) and I promise I'll reply in a timely fashion.