Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Crochet. Amigurumi Style.

I'm improving my crochet skills over here and I think I'm getting addicted to the craft.  I've got a long list of projects I want to try and once I finish one I start scheming what to crochet next!  Here's what I completed a couple of days ago.



It's a belated graduation gift for my nextdoor neighbor.  Do you like how I posed him in front of our collection of Peanuts paperbacks?  Very scholarly, indeed.  Actually, my Dad saw these photos posted on my Facebook page and thought I had made a penguin.  Really?  The wise old penguin, eh?  Either way, it's cute and here's the link for this Amigurumi Graduation Owl from Lion Brand Yarn.

I also finished this little guy and gave him to my step dad for Father's Day (along with a Starbuck's gift card, of course). 


It's the first project I've attempted from the book that enticed me into learning more about this craft of hooks and yarn and intimidating pattern directions - Ana Paula Rimoli's Amigurumi World:  Seriously Cute Crochet.  The pattern in the book is for a mug of cafe con leche but I altered mine a bit because I didn't want to go out and buy a light brown yarn when I already had a perfectly tea-colored dark brown yarn.  So, a mug of hot tea it is.  Until I gave it away as a father's day gift, at which point it became a mug of coffee.  It's a very versatile specimen.

Here's another mug shot to give you a better representation of its actual size - which greatly affects the cuteness factor:



 Life in the Pitts

Pin It

25 comments:

  1. They both look fantastic! I love them! You should check out the book Tasty Crochet, it has all sorts of fake crochet food to make. If you look at the book on Rav, you can see all of the projects inside!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute! Love the owl and the mug. Amigurumi is just fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely work on your blog!!

    Saskia :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is beyond cute. I love how crochet stuff looks, but I'm always too chicken to try...have got to get over that to make these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That owl is TOO cute.

    Thanks for linking with Sugar & Spice

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are doing a fabulous job! The owl is awesome! I'm visiting with the pj party, hope you visit me too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so talented with all your crocheted lovelies...my mom always wanted to teach me to crochet but I never would take the time to listen and learn...you haven't a clue how I wish I had! =-( I still have all of her little things she made for her Christmas tree...and a couple of her pot holders...thanks for sharing and thanks for visiting me...come back sometime!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How cute! I love the owl! I'm a new follower - found your blog from Night Owl crafting. Cute stuff!

    http://thingamajigetc.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. That mug is the cutest thing ever! And I love your owl too! Great blog - I'm following now and looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know that I am a sucker for cute owls! I love both of them! Thanks for linking up to Hoo's got talent!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh man, you're making me want to crochet!

    Thank you for participating in the Creative Therapy Session at Life in the Pitts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, those are so cute...
    Just wanted to say "thanks" for visiting my blog on Giveaway Day last month.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW! What a talented lady you are! I love these...also your sunflower cupcakes are adorable! Can't wait to see more of what you do...your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  14. He is adorable!! Cutest little mug I've ever seen. I saw this post on a few different linky parties and I must say, your photo really stuck out to me. It's quite an adorable little creation.

    I'm going to have to check out your etsy during my son's nap today, for sure. Hope you have a great weekend! Very nice to "meet" you.

    Your newest follower,
    Laura <3

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh wait! It's not an etsy...it's a flickr photostream. Ah, I see now. You need to make an etsy! That stuff would sell, girl : )

    ReplyDelete
  16. I featured these today!

    http://lanieree.blogspot.com/2010/06/featuring-you_25.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOVE the owl! If you like: I have a link party on my blog. I would love it if you join!
    Bye!
    Annemarie

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow! you are talented! those turned out darling:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Visiting from the Under the Table and Dreaming link party -- I don't "do yarn" and I still love this. I like your blog, and am a new follower.
    Big "wave" from Cape Cod!
    Jude at
    dolcecapecod dot blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I seriously MUST learn to make these crafts, they are absolute perfection. Simple design, nice texture, I wanna make a bunch and display 'em! Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Those are great! That owl is amazing--and the wise old penguin has me chuckling!
    suchakingdom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. That owl is so cute....you can go ahead and send it to me!!!

    =)

    Sam
    Mom.Undecided.
    http://momundecided.blogspot.com/
    *Come on over - I'm hosting my first giveaway!*

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very cute! I love the little owl.
    -Crystal

    ReplyDelete

Comments. I like 'em. If you have a question please email me (my email is on the sidebar) and I promise I'll reply in a timely fashion.