Monday, June 28, 2010

Independent Whales

The Fourth of July has never been on my list of favorite holidays.  I don't know why.  I do like parades and BBQs and a couple of fireworks, though.  I also dig the red, white, and blue color scheme.  I was at the hardware store a week or so ago and spotted a display of patriotic-colored bandanas and was overcome with a desire to celebrate my independence through craft.  Something about those bandanas just inspired the patriot in me!  How does the saying go? "As American as bandanas."  Or maybe it's apple pie.  Anyhow, here's what I came up with:



What's that?  Never heard of a patriotic whale before?  It's no majestic bald eagle and I know they're not usually (or ever) associated with Independence Day - but whales are darn cute! Besides, if I had a pet whale you can bet I'd name him Old Glory.  That's a great name for such a massive creature that's been around forever and has a loooong lifespan.  Plus, it's close to Old Faithful (the geyser) and that's reminiscent of whales with their blowholes and whatnot.  So, you see, it just takes a tiny stretch of the imagination to accept the idea of whales as a patriotic theme.

If you're still having trouble with the concept remember that this is America and I'm free to choose ANY animal as my 4th of July mascot without fear of persecution.  Let freedom ring!!  Before I get carried away, let's see some more cute whales.



Get it?  He's so patriotic that he's spouting fireworks!!  I must give credit to whoever designed my daughter's jammies because I pretty much used them to create the whale template.  So, thank you to the designer for Carter's who came up with the purple whale jammies.  Basically, I traced the whale shape onto some fusible web and then used the bandanas as my fabric.  I machine stitched around the edges and then embroidered the facial features and spouting fireworks. 



The white shirt is my favorite and it'll be the one Susannah wears to the parade on Sunday.  I had to add that star to cover up the emroidered teapot that was there when I bought it.  I had the hardest time finding a plain white shirt! 


            These Magical Years


Pin It

56 comments:

  1. Ok, those are too stinking adorable! I wish I could sew but, alas, I cannot. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, these are a 10 on the cuteness scale! ;o)

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too cute!! I wish my girls were still little, I would SOOO try this!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your shirts are absolutely adorable!!!! So cute!

    -Kara
    http://littlelearnerslounge.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooo! Too stinkin' cute! Patriotic whales - of course!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your patriotic whales! you are too cute and your creations are adorable :) Your little one will be filled with pride wearing it in the parade :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I may try this even though my daughter isn't little.

    ReplyDelete
  8. adorable! Its awesome that this would work for a little guy too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cute... You should sell these on Etsy (if you don't already)!

    Lindsay @ A Design Story

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love those cutie little whales! And who says whales aren't patriotic?! Look at those little guys in their red, white, and blue glory. Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are precious!! I LOVE the cute little star. :) Thanks so much for the visit to my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. love it, can I copy it ? it would look great sewn onto card. lovely idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the use of bandanas in those darling whales!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've given you an award over at my site today!
    http://straightstitches.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, my gosh, the cuteness! You can give me one of those adorable patriotic whales over a bald eagle any day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those are adorable! I always see kids wearing patriotic animals on their clothes that *aren't* eagles. Puppies,butterflies...whatever is cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. love this! I'm redoing my sons room with whales and am loving them currently!
    we have a friday fun finds party- we'd love it if you'd link to this!

    ReplyDelete
  18. these are really cute!!

    in fact, our readers would love to be able to find you and how you've put this together.

    this is where you get yourself a link back to your article :

    http://www.finecraftguild.com/diy-tutorial-linky-party-4/

    rose

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those are way, way, way too cute... I am cool with the concept and like the idea of naming a whale Old Glory!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Soooo cute! Yay for patriotic whales, absolutely adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love this! I think I may even try something like it. Thank for posting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. These are just adorable. I especially love the red whale on the white t-shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I featured this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com earlier tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I adore your patriotic spirit. It is red, white and bluetiful!

    I hope you will stop by for a bbq on a white tablecloth. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. that was truly a whale of an idea!

    so sweet!

    so american!

    ReplyDelete
  26. LOVE those! Tell me you have an Etsy shop. I think I need some for a whale watching outing.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Very, very cute! I love applique'!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Those are so stinkin' cute! I love the whales and your post was cracking me up! I like the whale idea better than the bald eagle anyway! Thanks for linking up to Hoo's got talent!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ridiculous cute! Thanks for sharing - these are really awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  30. these are adorable! my little guy loves all things big and swimming..he would love these!

    ReplyDelete
  31. These are too cute, love the fireworks spout too!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I like the whale too, she looks so playful and so baby-ish. Hope you're having a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is just darling! Thanks for linking up at along for the ride.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Such a cute whale design! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Very cute! I think the whales are perfect. Who says it has to be flags and sparklers? Great job. Lisa~

    ReplyDelete
  36. So cute! This would hide some stubborn stains beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Those little whales are adorable and make it easy to still wear after the 4th. Thanks for linking to Craftastic Monday:)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Those are so darn cute!

    I recently received the Sunshine Award and would like to pass it on to you!

    http://suddenlysandy.com/2010/07/i-won-the-sunshine-award.html

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Adorable whales, I think red white and blue is a great combination of colors no matter what they're done it, including whales! The navy blue and white is kinda nautical and the red thrown in just makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Those are just so stinkin' cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I absolutely adore this applique! Thanks for sharing!! I featured this idea on my Wednesday's Wowzers today. Here is the link:

    http://oopsey-daisy.blogspot.com/2010/07/wednesdays-wowzers-inspiration-while-im.html

    Have a great day!
    ~Alison

    ReplyDelete
  42. You are featured at my Creative High Party and win a spot in my sidebar. I put the whales up with a link to you, if you want something different, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  43. So cute, I love the little whale. Very creative and festive! Thanks for linking to Sister Sister Sunday, please come back next week!

    Thanks,
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  44. adorable! thanks so much for sharing on Craft Schooling Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  45. What a fab craft - have featured you on "Water Get Crafty"

    http://www.redtedart.com/2011/05/01/water-get-crafty-fish-summer-crafts-to-inspire-you/

    Thank you!

    Maggy

    ReplyDelete
  46. Those shirts are fabulous! I popped over from RedTedArt's fab blog and will now probably spend far too much on here ;-)!

    ReplyDelete
  47. So cute!

    I’d love it if you shared this with the Fun Family Crafts audience.
    FFC is similar to Craftgawker but it only features kid friendly tutorials.

    Looking forward to seeing what fun crafts you submit!
    http://funfamilycrafts.com

    ReplyDelete

Comments. I like 'em. If you have a question please email me (my email is on the sidebar) and I promise I'll reply in a timely fashion.