Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Summertime Tutorial for Sunflower Cupcakes




Our pacific northwest June gloom is beginning to give way to actual sunshine and warm weather and it's putting me in a very summery mood!  Awhile back I made these sunflower cupcakes for my husband's birthday and summer feels like the appropriate time to post a tutorial for them.  This is my version of the quite popular sunflower cupcake.  (Just do a Google image search for "sunflower cupcake" and you'll see what I mean.) 

You'll need:
some cooled cupcakes (duh!)
some yellow frosting (I used Betty Crocker cream cheese flavor and added some yellow food coloring)
a pastry bag
#98 ruffle decorating tip 
#30 closed star decorating tip
oreo cookies (one for each cupcake)

Separate the oreo cookies.  Use a dab of frosting to secure half of the oreo (the half without the white filling stuff) to the very top of the cupcake.  Do with the other half what you will - eat it, share it, toss it out - because you won't be needing it for the cupcakes.


Attach the #98 ruffle decorating tip to your pastry bag and fill the bag with delicious yellow frosting.  I am no expert so I had to look up what the names of these decorating tips were.  In case your have a simliar culinary education, I've taken a photo of the tips I used.  The one I'm refering to for this step is the crescent-shaped tip with the teeth on one side.

With the teeth side down (facing the counter) pipe the first layer of frosting petals around the cupcake.  Begin at the oreo cookie and gently squeeze the frosting out while moving the pastry bag towards you and down.  Stop just as the petal is hanging over the edge of the cupcake.  This might sound a little tricky but you'll learn that it just takes a couple of practice petals to find your squeezing and squirting rhythm.


Get ready to make the second layer of petals with the same crescent-shaped tip.  This time the teeth should be facing up.  Each petal of this second layer should be between two petals of the first layer.  See the photo for Perfect Petal Placement (PPP).  Just like last time, begin at the oreo cookie and gently squeeze the frosting out while moving the pastry bag towards you and down.  Stop just at the edge of the cupcake (this layer of petals is not as long and droopy as the first layer).


Switch your decorating tip to the star shape for the last layer of petals.  This time, begin on the outer edge of the oreo cookie and between two petals of the previous row.  Gently squeeze the frosting out while moving the pastry bag towards you and slightly up.  I thought of it as "kissing" the frosting onto the oreo and that helped me to get the shape I was going for.  I probably even made little kissing sounds, but that's not required.


You should now have three layers of frosting petals. 


You're done with your first sunflower cupcake! You will get in the groove and your technique will improve with each successive sunflower.  Just two morsels of advice before I go.  First, make sure to refrigerate the cupcakes until serving time so the frosting doesn't start to droop.  Second, be prepared for a top-heavy cupcake.  All that frosting really weighs them down and they'll flip right over and splat onto the counter if you don't pick them up accordingly.


I'd love to see some photos if you give these a try!




 



Pin It

54 comments:

  1. These look so cute and so easy! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally Yum! I guess its cupcakes for breakfast today! :) Thanks for showing how you made these!
    ♥ Aleesha

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love sunflower..
    thanks for sharing..
    it means a lo to me...

    cheers,
    puri

    http://idekuhandmade.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these! And the center is an oreo... awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are so cute! I may have to give them a try for my daughters birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing - I think I can do it, but I think I will stop at the cupcake shop later

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are very pretty and look relatively easy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous! I'm totally bookmarking these! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome. You make it look easy, too!

    What are you doing for the 4th? I'm hosting Fab Finds for the Fourth this Thursday and the following 2 weeks. Would love to have you link something up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are so fun!!! I love the oreo in the center, easy & they look very realistic :) Thanks for the top heavy tip - dually noted :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are so cute! Plus, I'd be in Oreo cream heaven with all the leftover cream!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi,, I decorate cakes/cupcakes alot but I've never seen this method used. I love the way you did yours. I for sure want to try these out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are adorable and I love your tutorial! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I never would have thought to use an Oreo in the middle. That is so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are so cute! You did a great job, too! Thanks for the instructions!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Check you out girl, those turned out amazing! I can't wait to make some! Thanks for linking up to Hoo's got talent!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goodness, this is super cute!! I love cupcakes and love to make new things. Thanks for sharing with us!

    come link up on friday at 6 inches of Ribbon

    www.ashleyrussell726.blogspot.com
    -ashley =)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just stumbled on your blog, and I'm really enjoying it! Do feel free to pop by mine when you have a sec and say hi!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That looks awesome! I am always so amazed at the cupcakes everyone makes.... so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So cute! I made some of these a couple summers ago and they were so cute! I made some with mini oreos so I could have 2 flowers on a cupcake. I also tried to use m&m's with black icing to make lady bugs but it was too hard...and I am too lazy! :) I like the idea to take the top cookie off first...will try that next time!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Im in LOVE!!
    thanks so much for sharing
    xoxo
    bB

    ReplyDelete
  22. Stopping by to let you know that these are too yummy looking NOT to feature over at Someday Crafts today! ;)

    Somedaycrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. When I saw these I was instantly happy!!! I will be making these very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  24. These would be so good at a bake sale....its not your run of the mill looking cupcake.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you for visiting my blog and for leaving a comment. That bee hive cupcake is beautiful and I love owls too but my sewing skills suck. Maybe this year I will try making a pinata-they were such a part of my childhood. Have a great weekend-mymommymakesit

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow-these cupcakes are the cutest edible things I've ever seen!!! I sure wish I knew how to do the yellow petals, but I'm not sure I could pull it off!! You did an AWESOME job--BRAVO!
    HUGS,
    Cindy Adkins
    www.recoveryartist.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Cute cupcakes!! I'm sure mine wouldn't end up nearly as cute!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow! You are incredibly talented! These cupcakes are beautiful. Thanks for stopping by the Cupcake Carnival! Be sure to come back and enter the giveaways.

    xoxo,
    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  29. whoa, these are awesome! I especially love the picture of the fallen cupcake.

    Thank you for participating in the Creative Therapy Session at Life in the Pitts

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow you are quite the artist! these are so cute, and look delish! Thanks for sharing at Sweet Charli! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I featured these! And I didn't use the photo of the upside down cupcake. I was really tempted, but I decided to let them come over and see it for themselves, instead.

    http://lanieree.blogspot.com/2010/06/featuring-you_18.html

    ReplyDelete
  32. So cute and clever!! Thanks for sharing how you did it. I love me some cute and yummy cupcakes! :) Found you on Tatortots and Jello! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a creative idea. I wish I had more patience with piping to have effects like that. And thanks for visiting me. That was my first batch of cupcakes in a lonnnng time. =)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Those are so pretty but I know mine would not end up looking like that!
    Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh my gosh, I love cupcakes, I love sunflowers ... these are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  36. So cute. I love to make cool cupcakes. We will be trying those. Come visit me at Purple Chocolat Home for some other cute cupcakes. Thanks for the great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  37. These look great and an Oreo cookie center...how great is that? Joni

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hello! I'm from the Pacific NW, too (Portland). Hopefully we'll all get some summer weather soon!!! Your cupcakes are super cute!
    http://www.inspired2cook.com/

    ReplyDelete
  39. These look so yummy. What a simply scrumptious idea.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Those are so cute and look so tasty. Fun idea!
    -Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  41. Great idea on the oreo. It really imitates the seeded center quite well. I call dibbs on the one that fell!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  42. I love this so much I became your newest follower. This is SO going in my file to try later.

    I've got some sunflower dishes that these would look fantastic on. Hope you can come visit some time. :)

    Alison

    http://welcomesunshinehome.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  43. These are almost too pretty to eat! I said "almost"... They look delicious. Thanks for linking up.

    Vanessa @ Craft Envy

    ReplyDelete
  44. You know...those are 3 things I love...sunflowers, oreos, and cupcakes! They're gorg!!!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Yummy & sunny! They look sooo good. Thanks for linking to Craftastic Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  46. These are adorable and yummy looking! I will be featuring.
    ~Gay~
    itsahodgepodgelife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  47. In the article, the writer said you only need one side of the Oreo for the cupcake. She said either eat the other, or dump it. NO NO NO! Do not dump it. Freeze it for later. Such a waste. The cupcake idea is fantastic. It would look great in a Oreo dirt cake on a stick as a flower! A pot of sun flowers in a dirt cake!

    ReplyDelete

Comments. I like 'em. If you have a question please email me (my email is on the sidebar) and I promise I'll reply in a timely fashion.