Thursday, July 15, 2010

A Bee Hive Pincushion For Grandma

I do so enjoy a good bee motif and I'm sure there are a lot of good puns to go along with it, but I fear that I have no time for such frivolities right now.  I finished up this pincushion for my grandma's birthday (she's 77 years old!) and must hastily post about it before heading off to jury duty.  Blech!  I tried to be as inconspicuous as possible during the selection process, but to no avail.  Ah, well.  Civic duty, I guess.





I stumbled across the book "Pretty Little Pincushions" at the library quite awhile ago and have been waiting for an excuse to try my hand at one of the many, many cute ideas in there.  I considered letting Susannah choose which pincushion to create (the book is full of pictures and simple instructions) but I really wanted to do the bee hive.  Like I said earlier, I have a thing for bees.  My first tattoo was a bumble bee.


We found the perfect little bee buttons at the craft store and used a bit of glue to turn them into pins for the bee hive.  They're my favorite part!  I think that's all the time I have today, folks.  If you don't hear from me for awhile it's because the trial is taking forever and I'm tucked away in some claustrophobic jury room or a windowless court room with 11 of my peers. 






Pin It

29 comments:

  1. That is super-duper cute. What a clever idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is BEYOND adorable! I love bees too, they make me so happy whenever they are in my garden, I even decorated my bathroom around the garden and bees :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this is probably the cutest pincushion I have EVER seen!! Your grandma will be so happy with it, I'm sure! Thanks for posting it on my link party.
    Annemarie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I have a little award for you. Please, visit my blog:
    http://leptir-mojpribor.blogspot.com/2010/07/sweet-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh this is so cute! I'll have to see if my library has that book. What a great gift!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow, that is sooooo adorable! Love it. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. How adorable! Such a great gift and so beautifully done. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. omg...this is too cute!....love it!...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am visiting from Just Something I whipped up Mondays

    How adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cute, especially coming from Utah, the Beehive State. Someone is going to love this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. omg this is so cute!!!! and original... I had seen many tomatoes until now, but the beehive is awsome!

    and thank you for visiting my blog =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love your bee hive. it really is very sweet and oh, those little bee pins, what a great idea to transform buttons into pins. it looks like the little bees are buzzing around!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for linking up to the Mad Skills party!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thsi is simply adorable! Happy birthday to your Grandma. I am sure she will just adore this! Love the pins too! Thanks so much for joining the Sunday Showcase. Hope you have a wonderful week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is adorable!
    Thanks for sharing your cute idea!

    rubies-pearls.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Adorable! Thanks for linking @Creative Itch's "Sew Cute Tuesday"!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is SO cute! I love it! Well actually it's SEW cute :)

    Thank you SO much for stopping by, and for your sweet comments! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh, this is too adorable. i really really hate bees (sorry) but i like this! what made you get a bee tattoo? my coworker has one, b/c she says its somehow translated to her name.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What an a-DOR-able idea!! I want a pin cushion just like this!! Thanks so much for the fabulous inspiration!!

    ~Alison
    http://oopsey-daisy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. I LOVE that!!!!! I'm sure gramma will too! :)
    Thanks for linking to gettin' crafty on hump day!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm a happy new follower. Love this cute project.

    http://moogieland.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ooh, this is really cool. I've never seen anything like it. I bet she will love this!

    Thank you for linking this up, too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. So very cute and creative! Thanks for sharing at It's Party Time Thursday at PonyTails&FishScales!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Megan, just wanted you to know your super cute beehive has been featured at Craftastic Monday today - be sure to grab a featured button to tell everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is such a cute pincushion. You know I would have the perfect sewing pin for it:
    http://muffinsnmore.blogspot.com/2010/05/more-cute-sewing-pins.html

    It's in the fifth photo from the top. (Sorry, there is no single post just on that pin.)
    If I ever make more bee sewing pins I should really make such a pincushion ... :-D

    ReplyDelete

Comments. I like 'em. If you have a question please email me (my email is on the sidebar) and I promise I'll reply in a timely fashion.