Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Little Birdie Place Setting

I've been wanting to try my hand at placemat-making for quite some time now.  Why is it that the simplest of projects seem to take me forever to finally get around to doing?  This really was a simple project, too.  I needed a last minute birthday gift for a fun-loving little 4 year old who lives on an alpaca ranch.  I don't know how her place of residence comes into play.  I just think it's cool that she's got alpacas roaming around (and some other critters, too).  Anyhow, this is what Susannah and I came up with:

 
I knew I didn't want to purchase any new fabric so Susannah and I just started shopping around for children's plastic dishes.  Our first and last stop was Target where Susannah was quite certain that this bird/flower set was perfect.  I heartily agreed, so in the cart they went!  It was easy to find some coordinating fabric in my stash and it felt great to use some of it up (thus making space for NEW fabric!). 


I appliqued a little bird onto the front, mainly for decoration, but you can also tuck your silverware in there....just for fun.


Oh, and it's probably very important for you to know that the back is a pinkish color that matches the dishes almost perfectly!

Overall, I'm very happy with how it turned out and I'm anxious to make more - perhaps some to keep this time! 


PonyTails and FishScales    Photobucket


Pin It

35 comments:

  1. You should be pleased with yourself, that turned out adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice placemat..so adorable! I love the birdie for the silverware..

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fabulous! I love the bird applique pocket too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is a very clever! nice matching place settings! your birdies are so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the bird pocket!! So cute and sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love the little birdie pocket for the utensils! :) totally charming! sad that you won't be able to keep it but hey, you get to make more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Megan - this is so, so, "sew" cute!

    Kristi
    Punkin Seed Productions

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute - I love anything with birds in the design these days!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. darling darling!! i love the little bird applique & the matching bowl & plate. perfect. such a fun gift :)

    thanks for your sweet comments on my blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Get. Out. Of. Here. That is beyond adorable!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is sooo cute! I LOVE IT! Thanks for stop by AliLilly! And yes that recipe is GREAT without meat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG, you should sell those on Etsy...tooooooo cute!!!!! Thanks for linking to gettin' crafty on hump day!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is so clever. I love the silverware all tucked in like that.

    Thank you for participating in the Therapy Session with Life in the Pitts!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just darling! Love the little birdie holding silverware!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So very cute and I love the little birdie and coordinating colors! Thanks for sharing at It's Party Time Thursday at PonyTails&FishScales!

    ReplyDelete
  16. visiting from sunday showcase- this is ADORABLE! i'm your newest follower- visit me at http://coffeypartyof3.blogspot.com

    can't wait to see what else you do!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Adorable!
    www.icanteachmychild.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fun gift!! Thanks for linking @Creative Itch's "Sew Cute Tuesday"!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your little bird placemats. you have some cute idea too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love it! The little birdies are so cute.
    -Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  21. Super cute! Love the little birdie silverware pocket =)

    ReplyDelete
  22. VERY cute! I love the bird silverware holder! I am your newest follower! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just love the birds. I keep coming back and trying to figure out what I could do for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. That is so cute!! I love the little birdie to hold the silverware!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi!! I just love this project! i just wanted to let you know I featured you on my blog tonight;)
    http://justsewsassy.com/2010/07/30/feature-friday-my-picks-of-the-week/
    Come grab a button if you'd like!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is so darling, I just love the little birdie! We are going to feature this post as our favorite on Sunday. Thanks for linking up to Sister Sister Sunday! See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for linking up to Milk N' Honey Shareday. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  28. So cute and fun! Think I'll make each one of the family their own personal one. I think it would be so fun to have everyone's place settings on the table.

    Thanks for comment on my flower clock!

    ReplyDelete
  29. You may love my tea towles but I am IN LOVE with this idea.... so happy to have met you in blog world!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love how you tucked the cutterly in ... :-)

    I am stalking you now by the way. So I don't miss any cute stuff!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Comments. I like 'em. If you have a question please email me (my email is on the sidebar) and I promise I'll reply in a timely fashion.