Monday, July 12, 2010

Red, White, Blue, and Tardy.

These were completed by Independence Day, but I'm just now getting around to blogging about them.  So, Happy 12th of July!

It goes nicely with the monkey hook, don't you think?
This project was based on July's issue of Family Fun.  I usually find some great ideas in that publication but don't always have a chance to try them all before they become seasonally inappropriate.  (I have a file folder full of ripped out pages of projects that I want to do the next time the holiday or season rolls around.)  So when I saw this bunting-inspired paper wreath I wanted to get started right away so it would be done in time.  That's why I chose to use scrapbooking paper (which I had on hand) because getting out to buy appropriately-colored cardstock would've taken valuable time - and the Fourth of July clock was ticking!


It was fairly simple to complete.  Basically, secure some paper into cone shapes and glue them to a small circle of cardboard.  Then slap a circle and a star in the center.  Use the link in the previous paragraph if you want more detailed instructions.  You could even change up the colors to make this an appropriate craft for any season. 

I had some leftover cones so I assembled this:


Puts one in mind of an Indian headdress, doesn't it?  Or maybe a turkey.  See?  You could easily transform this craft into a Thanksgiving slash harvest slash Fall craft!  How's that for thinking outside the box (or cone as the case may be)?

In other Fourth of July news, Susannah loved her bandana whale shirts and is still wearing them with pride. 


This is the year that my blueberry bushes finally decided to bear fruit!

   Reviews and Giveaways


Pin It

26 comments:

  1. How cute is that! I might just have to make one with summer papers.I need a new wreath.
    Thanks for sharing!
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [12 Jul 12:00pm GMT]. Thanks, Maria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for linking up to Monday Shareday on Milk N' Honey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The wreath is so cute! And the whale is adorable on your little one too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute festive different idea for a wreath. I think I will try it out. Thank you for sharing. Karie @ Karie Chic Creations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so cute! I'm going to have to try it out! the great thing is i could make some for all the seasons and for the what my husband calls "lesser" holidays! Awesome! thanks for sharing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love the photo of her eating blueberries in her Whale of a Fourth shirt! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree, Family fun has got some great ideas. Your cone decorations came out lovely. I am especially a fan of the whale shirts, too CUTE!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Family Fun, too! Your wreath turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for linking up at TAke-A-Look Tuesday - I featured you today!
    Mandy, www.craftedition.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. very cute! my daughter & i decorate ALL-out for halloween, its our favorite... so i think we will try making hanging halloween wreaths! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so cute! I especially love your turkey/indian headdress. I always make decorations during the holiday, and I never finish them in time. I think I need to plan this better.

    Thank you for participating in the Creative Therapy Session with Life in the Pitts!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love that 4th of july decoration! and who cares if the holiday is over, you should be proud of your work! i was bad & didn't make any 4th of july decorations...maybe next year!
    and darling bandana whale shirts, great idea.

    thanks for your nice comments on my "crafty crap" :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cute, cute! Thanks for linking to Craftastic Monday:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very crafty of you! Thanks for sharing at It's Party Time Thursday@PonyTails&FishScales!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fun and cute wreath! Thanks for linking up to Hoo's got talent!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for linking up to the Mad Skills party!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This post has been selected as one of my top posts of the week. Here is the link: http://www.jdaniel4smom.com/2010/07/great-post-i-came-across-this-week-july.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. The wreaths turned out so very cute. I love the papers that you used.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The popularity of your link-up has earned a feature as one of this week's top 10 favorites on my weekly newsletter! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Those scrapbook papers are great! What a nice way to take an idea and run with it. I like your version even better than the Family Fun one (and there's was nice too). Also like your idea to use this craft for other holidays by changing the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I saw your comment on the Family Fun website - I *love* the papers you used for your cone. I tried making this yesterday and I think my card stock was too heavy. However, after seeing your version, I'm headed to Michael's or Hobby Lobby to get some patriotic paper to use!! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments. I like 'em. If you have a question please email me (my email is on the sidebar) and I promise I'll reply in a timely fashion.