Thursday, August 26, 2010

Printables for Stroller Scavenger Hunts

I don't know about you, but we do a LOT of strolling when the weather permits.  It's one of the few ways that I can get exercise and keep track of a four year old at the same time.  Trips to the library, the post office, grandparents' homes, the hardware store, etc. in the stroller are also environmentally friendly...I love multi-tasking!

We also discovered Rails to Trails this summer.  It's a program that converts old, out of service train tracks into trails.  A good portion of the Rails to Trails that run through our county is paved and straight and wide and perfect for strollers!  It's also pretty uneventful scenery-wise.  It travels through farm land crosses a few highways...not a lot of variety.  Sometimes Susannah needs more distraction than the singing, chatting, and snacking can provide.  So I came up with a savenger hunt of sorts. 

I printed out some pictures of things we often see while strolling, found a clip board, and brought along a dauber.  Susannah had a great time keeping her eyes peeled for all the different objects, insects, etc.  When she spotted one she'd get all excited and mark it with the dauber.  It was such a success that I made another version for neighborhood strolling:



Now that I've got the main template down, it's really easy to just add new/different pictures for whatever suits our needs.  I plan on making fall versions, too.  Maybe even one for the car!  Anyhoo, I used Google docs so that I could share them with you.  You should be able to download both the rural version and the neighborhood version.  I'd recommend printing them in black and white in order to conserve pricey ink.

Neighborhood Savenger Hunt - Summer
Rural Savenger Hunt - Summer

Happy Strolling!

UndertheTableandDreaming   mmm button  oneprettything   



Pin It

31 comments:

  1. These are awesome, Megan! I love them. We make frequent 4 hour car trips to visit my parents and my in-laws, so this would be great for my three year old. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a fabulous idea! Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing idea!!! So creative! Thank you so much for linking your wonderful creation up at Frou Frou Decor today!! Have a great weekend!
    ~Terrell @ Frou Frou Decor~

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a fabulous idea. So nice of you to share.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute idea!

    I hope you'll come participate in my link party today! It runs all week so come back and add more BOY projects! All About The Boy @ The Nifty Nest!

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  6. that looks like fun! I'll have to try that with my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's funny that you shared this because just today my daughter wanted to play treasure hunt and I would have loved to have this handy. My ideas were pretty lame and she got bored pretty quickly :-) Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing such a great printable. We'll put these to use for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love these, what a great idea!I am going to use them with my daughter, who is 3 and starting to dislike the stroller but is not fast enough to keep up yet! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Great idea! Thanks so much for sharing! Kerri

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are fabulous! I hope you'll add this to Show & Tell, I know ABC & 123's readers will love it! Here's a link to the latest one: http://www.abcand123learning.com/2010/08/show-and-tell-22.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. great idea, thanks so much for sharing on Craft Schooling sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is very cute and I think my younger boys would like this even though they are out of th stroller age.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this idea. My third little guy is just turning 10 weeks and it is time for me to get out and exercise. This is perfect for keeping the older toddler busy while we walk off the baby weight.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How creative! Such a clever idea. I am hosting a link party on my blog this weekend about words/quotes (The Weekend Word Search). Please consider stopping by! Your project would be a great addition.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE this idea! We use our do-a-dots all the time and we also love to do scavenger hunt lists, but I never thought of anything like this. Will definitely put this one into practice sometime (and hopefully remember to link back to your blog). Going to look around the rest of your blog now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a cute idea. I love when Bloggers share things like this with each other! Isn't blogging just the greatest?

    I found you through My Backyard Eden :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was just thinking about some sort of road trip bingo games, these are fun - thanks :) I figure I'll incorporate certain things that I know I'll see on the road.

    -Stefanie
    2ndChanceCreations.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this. Little man is still too young ... but when he gets older I will do this!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What an awesome idea!!!! Thanks so much for linking up at gettin' crafty on hump day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great job! I should probably put something like this together for this weekend. I'm not real keen about the snake, though.... :) Thanks for linking!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this! My toddler will really enjoy it!!! Will print this out at lunchtime when they are all napping and have a mo!

    "Thank you" for stopping by!! So pleased to have you join in Kids Get Crafty!!!

    See you again next week?

    Maggy, Red Ted Art

    ReplyDelete
  23. These are amazing! We live in southern CA so we stroller a lot. In December we are going home to MI, mind if I use your template to make a winter and airport version?

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a brilliant plan. I remember the days of walking with a stroller and singing and reciting non-stop and bringing a generous supply of Cheerios hoping that would keep them entertained.

    ReplyDelete
  25. How fun is this? I don't even have kids (most totally be nesting) but love this idea. maybe modify for doing longer walks with the puppy dog. Because clearly, being out just for her isn't enough incentive to keep me out just a little longer (smile).

    Bernadette
    www.b3homedesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a great activity and a brilliant idea! Thanks so much for linking up to Tot Tuesdays. I'll be featuring you tomorrow. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Where did you get the images? I'm thinking this idea would be great for introducing little ones to the idea of "nature journaling," by first getting them to pay attention to what they see. But for that particular purpose, things like fire hydrants aren't really relevant. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Megan:

    Just thought I'd let you know I included a link to your nature scavenger hunt on my personal blog. Such a cute idea! Thanks for the post!

    Amy Senter

    aspoolofthread.etsy.com

    http://www.amyroachsenter.blogspot.com/2013/05/105-things-to-do-this-summer.html

    ReplyDelete

Comments. I like 'em. If you have a question please email me (my email is on the sidebar) and I promise I'll reply in a timely fashion.