Wednesday, September 1, 2010

End of Summer Watermelon Shindig


Blustery weather and the fact that I had to dig out a sweater to wear yesterday can only mean one thing:  Fall is on it's way - if not here already.  I'm SO glad I got in one last day of summer fun with a watermelon-themed get together (about a week ago).  It wasn't anything fancy.  Just some friends coming over to splash in the wading pool, blow some bubbles, and eat some treats.  My favorite part were the watermelon cookies up there.  Aren't they cute?  I noticed a couple of different versions of them popping up in link parties this summer, but I went with this one from Homemaking Fun, which I found via Google image search.  I did take photos along the way and I'd be happy to post a tutorial if anyone's interested...maybe I'll hang on to it until next July when a watermelon post would be more appropriate.


See how perfectly the cookies coordinate with the watermelon hotpads I crocheted not so long ago?  There was no hot food served (the temperature was in the 90's) but the hotpad made an appearance anyhow because it fit the theme so nicely.

Kids and adutls alike enjoyed this simple watermelon stamping craft, which I totally copied from Frugal Family Fun Blog.  There's another watermelon craft on there as well, so be sure to check it out if you're planning a shindig of your own.

  
I didn't get any photos of the process, but we used a potato (cut into a half circle and dipped in paint) to stamp the watermelon onto the paper.  We used a paintbrush to apply green paint for the rind and brown paint for the seeds.  The paint dried really quickly because of the heat - how handy!

Other than swimming and eating juicy, fresh watermelon, this was the extent of our last summer fling!  Thanks for stopping by to share some juicy goodness.  Now I'm off to share this at some link parties!


Farewell, Summer!

 
Pin It

23 comments:

  1. Love it! Now you just need the beanie and scarf to go along with it. haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how cute! I love all watermelon things!

    Would you like to link up to Kids Get Crafty over at Red Ted Art? I host it every Wednesday! This week's link is http://www.redtedart.com/?p=3056

    Hope to "see" you soon!

    Thanks

    Maggy
    Red Ted Art

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great way to end summer! Thanks for sharing! Kerri

    ReplyDelete
  4. The watermemlon cookies are so neat looking. i love them!!!

    www.makingmemorieswithyourkids.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great end of summer fun!! I would love to have you stop over for a visit sometime!

    Cara

    P.S. New follower!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUM! Nothing says summer like a watermelon huh? Thanks so much for linking up to gettin' crafty on hump day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Thank you" for stopping by!! So pleased to have you join in Kids Get Crafty!!!

    See you again next week?

    Maggy, Red Ted Art

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun fun party - the cookies totally are worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow you really know how to end the summer on a sweet note! Those cookies are great looking! Thanks for joining us at A Crafty Soiree!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loving this idea! These are super sweet!! Thank you oh so much for linking up this sweet creation at the FABULOUS FRIDAY FINDS party today!! I hope your weekend is wonderful!
    Hugs,
    ~Terrell @ Frou Frou Decor~

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love watermelons! Thanks for linking up with Make It Fantabulous Friday!
    Joy
    mommaskindacrafty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. The cookies look delicious! I'm a teacher and I'm going to make them for my students for the first day of school! Thank you for the great idea:)
    Jess
    www.gardenpatchadventures.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was just thinking how well those cute cookies matched your hot pads....thanks for sharing on Craft Schooling sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. love watermellon both eating and decorating with it. They are so super cute

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those are so cute! Love your watermellon pot holder, and I'm gonna have to try those cookies some time!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So cute cookies... I haven't baked much in the heat - but these are tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That sounds like such a fun party. those cookies are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  18. A tremendously fun way to say goodbye to summer.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I will miss the watermelons! Goodbye summer! Thanks for linking up to Sister Sister, see you soon:)

    ReplyDelete

Comments. I like 'em. If you have a question please email me (my email is on the sidebar) and I promise I'll reply in a timely fashion.