Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Favors and Crafts at the Rainbow Party

It's nice to have festive decorations and a well-stocked snack table, but I think it's the crafts/activities that really matter when you're planning a party for kids.  Great party favors are important, too.  In the past I've usually incorporated a pinata because that counts as both an activity and some party favors.  This year I skipped the pinata all together because we already had three crafts and some pretty rad favors.  



Go down the line of rainbow buckets and choose some color-coordinating candy...don't forget to grab a rainbow crayon.  Stuff it all into your goodie bag along with your choice of crocheted cupcake or colorful rubber duckie.  Thanks for coming!


A couple of notes about the favors:  Try as I might, I just couldn't find a purple duckie!  Michaels had red through blue for just $1 each.  Also, those are big buckets so I devised false bottoms for them using a paper bowl.  Otherwise I would've spent a fortune on candy!  I found those rainbow crayons at Oriental Trading (25 crayons for $8.99)...they actually make a perfect rainbow when you color with them.  Susannah helped me make the goodie bags using her Do-A-Dot daubers and printable tags from Paper Glitter.  Lastly, here's some more info. about the amigurumi cupcakes and the buckets if you're interested. 

Now for the crafts!  The kids (and adults, too) got to make their own rainbow ribbon ring!


Michaels had a sale on their basic ribbon (3 spools for $1) so I bought a variety of rainbow colors.  I cut them all beforehand and singed the ends with a lighter so they wouldn't fray.  The wider ribbon with the rainbows and clouds on it was also from Michaels but wasn't such a bargain - until I whipped out my 40% off coupon, that is!  We tied the ribbons in a double knot around a canning jar rim, which are also very affordable this time of year.  I found that the rims for wide mouth jars allowed ample space for both ribbons and hands.  That's important because you need to have a good grasp on that thing if you're going to be dancing and twirling around with it.  The buttons (another Oriental Trading purchase) were glued on with Fabri-Tac, which dries really fast. 

Another fun craft:  string together a rainbow necklace!  A tub of pony beads from the craft store (sorted out beforehand by my lovely assistant, Susannah), a tub of wooden polka dot beads from Oriental Trading and some hemp string were the simple supplies needed for this craft. 


The little plastic divided plates kept the beads from rolling off the table as the kids created their rainbow accessories.  I think having them already sorted out and easily accessible in the mini loaf pan helped keep them off the ground, too.    

Remember the Do-A-Dot daubers we used to decorate the goodie bags?  Well, I brought those to the party along with some smelly markers.  I hope I didn't stifle anyone's creative genius by leaving the pinks, blacks and browns at home.  Maybe that's taking the rainbow theme a little too far?  Red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple ONLY.


I photocopied some pages from Susannah's Do-A-Dot activity book and the kids had a fine time coloring them.  I don't think it was illegal to reproduce them since they weren't being used commercially or whatever.

See?  They were so busy crafting that no one noticed the absence of a pinata.  


Pin It

11 comments:

  1. I love the favours and activities you came up with on your theme, what fun! I really liked your whole rainbow party :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, talk about luxury on a shoestring, those children must have thought they hit the jackpot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lov'n your blog.
    The Sheep Giveway was so super cute, and I love the rainbow crayons (so wanting to make those, I knew there was a reason I have bags of broken crayons...maybe I'll make little ones, hmmm.)Anyhow, although I've be blogging for a little while I'm new to the public world with it, so I'd like to invite you on over to http://littlebirdseeds.blogspot.com/;take a look, become a follower, grab my button, or just swipe the bat image I created to share with fellow bloggers to decorate their pages for Halloween.
    Thanks,
    Tana

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE IT! Wish I had seen this before my art party! I hope I can talk her into a rainbow party some year! The crayons are wonderful! And the false bottom on the buckets is brilliant! I need to keep that in mind in the future. The treat bags with the dots looked amazing! And how many ! marks am I going to use in this comment? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cool idea. We are planning Honey's 5th birthday party with crafts right now.

    Colleen
    Shibley Smiles

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these ideas, we're throwing Miss A a rainbow party in May thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful ideas!! I blogged about the rainbow rings today:

    http://www.chickabug.com/blog/2011/10/rainbow-party-activities.html

    Thank you for the inspiration! : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. HI MY NAME IS ANGIE AND I AM WORKING ON GOODIE BAG IDEAS AND WAS WONDERING HOW ON EARTH YOU MADE THE CRAYON BARS?? LOVE TO KNOW AND AWSOME IDEA!! I TO AM WORKING ON A RAINBOW SLUMBER PARTY SO IF YOU HAVE ANY IDEAS TO SHARE I WOULD GLADLY ACCEPT THEM

    ReplyDelete
  9. so fun! I've linked to your post here: http://dollarstoremom.com/2012/03/pinterest-picks-green-edition/

    ReplyDelete

Comments. I like 'em. If you have a question please email me (my email is on the sidebar) and I promise I'll reply in a timely fashion.