Monday, October 4, 2010

Cake and Sweets at the Rainbow Party

In the days leading up to the party, I'm sure I had the messiest (but most colorful) kitchen in town.  I am now a huge fan of Wilton's gel food coloring.  It yields the most brilliant colors without changing the consistency of the frosting or batter - or whatever it is that you're baking.  Case in point:  these mini cupcakes.  They're so vivid - and yes - that's a Double Rainbow Guy reference.


This was my first attempt at making my own tiered tray.  I used a wonderful tutorial posted by Julie at Joy's Hope and a metal tray, a glass candlestick, and a ceramic plate from Goodwill.  Oh, and a can of spray paint left over from last year's jellyfish pinata.  I think it might end up back at Goodwill because the candlestick came detached at some point during the "party's-over-let's-pack-up-and-go-home" phase of the birthday.

And, of course, what's a rainbow party without a rainbow layer cake?  Six layers, to be exact. 



There are a handful of tutorials for rainbow layer cakes floating around out there and I chose to follow the directions I found at I am Baker.  It was surprisingly easy, although time-consuming because you have to chill the cake between adding layers - which was totally worth it because I had no Leaning Tower of Pisa issues or anything like that.  Technically, the frosting was not bright white but you could only tell if you were being hypercritical and holding up a piece of white paper to it (or if your husband was using the flash to photograph it).  It was delicious, though, and since I had to use boring white cake mix I was counting on the frosting to make this cake taste as good as it looked.  It worked.  The recipe for cream cheese frosting at I am Baker is perfect! 

I would like to take a brief sentence or two to thank the folks at Twizzlers for making my cake decorating dilemma so easy.  I didn't want to leave the cake plain white but I also didn't want it to be too busy.  The "BLAM! That's a colorful, in-your-face rainbow cake!" was reserved for the interior.  Chopping up the rainbow pack of Twizzlers into 2-3 inch pieces as well as tiny pieces that resembled stars was just right.  Thank you, Twizzlers, for having all the colors I needed in one package. 

I thought outside the rainbow for these last two sweets.  It occurred to me that not everything had to be strictly rainbow.  My theme could encompass rainbow-related things as well.  For example, ROY G. BIV's cousins,  Umbrella and Raindrop:



I got the idea for these cookies on the Family Fun website and I found the best recipe for sugar cookies at Bake at 350.  I'm new to decorating sugar cookies with anything other than store bought frosting and a butter knife, so Bake at 350 was an invaluable resource for me.  It's got everything a freshman baker needs to know, including recipes and how-to videos.  So very helpful!

Let's not forget ROY G. BIV's great aunt,  Sunshine...a perfect addition to any rainbow party! 


These were my take on an idea I saw in the August/September issue of Simple and Delicious.  I love how bright and cheerful they are!  Just a note about candy corns, though.  They sweat.  I made these the night before the party and when I took them out of the fridge the next morning there was an orange syrupy substance dripping down the cupcake papers.  Next time I'll apply the candy corns just before serving.

Well, folks, this concludes my major rainbow party posts.  There may be more random posts to come if I remember something rainbow-y that I forgot to share, but I think I've covered most everything.  If you have any questions, I'm not sick of talking about the party yet, so email me and I promise I'll reply promptly...probably with more information than you wanted.


Pin It

12 comments:

  1. I think I've just died and gone to sugar heaven! Your goodies were delicious to look at and I'm sure tasted even better! That cake!!!!!
    Thanks for sharing xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would've loved to have birthday parties like this! My mom just kind of made a cake with sprinkles and threw some candles on it and I never felt jipped... but this is amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's just all kinds of Awesomeness!!! And you so truly rock for sharing your how-to links so that I can rip off all your fantastical awesomeness without guilt!
    Shame about your tray as it is lovely...think you should reconsider and just re-glue! I made one as well using Joy's tute and have to admit I have some ugly cardboard shims in a few places as my candlesticks where uneven...Baaaaa who's gonna look?!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the cookies - still do but those cupcakes are adorable!!

    Oh and cream cheese frosting. Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! If I keep seeing all these adorable Rainbow parties, I might have to convince my DD to have that as her next theme!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your happy, wonderful rainbow party!!!! So happy and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All I can say is, "WOW!"

    What an amazing party. The decoration on the rainbow cake was so cute and clever. I'll be saving these ideas for when my little girl turns 4.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is amazing! So many wonderful ideas - I will be borrowing some for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the cupcakes and cookies. The colors are just so bright and happy. Going to share them on our site!

    all the best,
    Sherry + Wendy @ Kiboomu

    ReplyDelete

Comments. I like 'em. If you have a question please email me (my email is on the sidebar) and I promise I'll reply in a timely fashion.