Monday, October 25, 2010

These Place Mats Match These Washcloths

I love dark brown and that pretty blue color together.  It's not quite turquoise and it's not a regular old blue, so I call it "that pretty blue color."  Oh!  Maybe it's more of a robin's egg blue.  No matter what you call it, I like it with dark brown and I'm pretty sure my sister does, too.  I hope so, because the birthday presents I made her feature this delightful color combination.



Just what every gal wants for her thirtieth birthday, right?  Washcloths and place mats.  I'm sure she'll absolutely swoon with excitement once she discovers what's inside that hastily-wrapped present from her dear sister, Megan.  Actually, I think she really will appreciate them because they're handmade - which automatically equals thoughtful.  Plus, I think she's planning on painting her kitchen "that pretty blue color."


I used some crochet patterns that I found on the Lion Brand Yarn website to make the washcloths.  The back loop stitch washcloth (the stripey one) and the sedge stitch washcloth (the not stripey one) were really easy patterns for this virgin washcloth-maker.  You know, they could be used as hot pads, too, because they're made from cotton yarn. 


These babies are reversible/double-sided so depending on her mood (or how dirty the other side is) she can flip them over!  Am I trying to make place mats seem more exciting than they actually are?  Perhaps it is a bit more enthusiasm than two layers of lightweight interfacing sandwiched between your average cotton fabric from JoAnn's with a little bit of trim and top stitching to give them some character deserve...I like 'em, though. 



Pin It

25 comments:

  1. what a lucky sister you have! --Mandy, Sugar Bee Craft Edition

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan, what a lovely gift! I'm sure your sister will be thrilled~I know I'd be! I love the colour combination...fresh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful! I hope you'll share on Fibers on Friday, too!

    http://plumslife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are beautiful! I'm thinking something similar might make good Christmas presents too... hmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it is all lovely - very cheerful and I bet you are right - she will appreciate them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute! I hope you can stop by my blog and show off your project to my readers on my Show Off Sunday Party.

    http://houseofthriftydecor.blogspot.com/2010/10/show-off-sunday-party_24.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it might be the color of something called "Lapis Lazuli", although I might be spelling it wrong. It's a kind of stone. The Egyptians liked it. I haven't been to the Metropolitan Art Museum in NYC in years, but there was a little statue of a hippo there made of lapis. His name was "William" and he was just about this color.
    I love brown with blue, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. PS, I'm sure your sister will love her gift, because it was made by you, with love!

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a great gift! love the color combo too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE the fabric you used for the placemats. I'm a big fan of chocolate brown. Great gift idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the color combination! My grandmother used to crochet washclothes too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very pretty. Love the colors. Great idea for gifts. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the fabric you used, and I may be an odd one but I would LOVE handmade dishclothes...seriously they are the BEST kind of dishclothes!!!! Thanks so much for linking up to gettin' crafty on hump day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love these colours! And love the fabric with the starry kind of circles on it. And love the fact that the placemats are double-sided so they can be flipped when dirty!

    (that's called lots of comment love ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. These turned out adorable! Thanks so much for linking up to Handmade Tuesdays @ Ladybug Blessings!! Make sure to come link up next Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those place mats are fantastic! I'm all about chocolate and turquoise right now--inspires me to contemplate making something out of fabric like that for my living room, which is getting a paint job over Thanksgiving break. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These placemats are beautiful. Your sister is a lucky gal!

    ReplyDelete
  18. oooh, love the color combo too. Funny enough I also just crocheted some sedge stitch wash cloths from the same pattern, so fun to make and the perfect decadent gift....can't wait to make some for myself and try them out....thanks so much for sharing on Craft Schooling Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the placemats! I'm dying to make something similar for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the color combo -- they are beautiful, Megs!

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are really cute! And who wouldn't love blue and brown together? =)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think your sister will love them. They are happy and you can't go wrong with turquoise and brown. Thanks for joining us at A Crafty Soiree and I hope you share more craftiness tomorrow. xoxo Malia

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the colors and I think this is a wonderful gift. They are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  24. what a fantastic gift!! I just started to crochet my dishcloths and want to make some placemats!

    ReplyDelete

Comments. I like 'em. If you have a question please email me (my email is on the sidebar) and I promise I'll reply in a timely fashion.