Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Canopy in Purple


It's so flowy!  It's surprisingly easy to make!  It's a whole lotta tulle!


You'll have to excuse the poor photo quality.  It's currently suspended from a curtain rod that I rigged across the molding in my hallway - not a lot of natural light here, even with the front door open.  I think it's over 7 feet in length from the loop that it hangs from to the hem of the tulle, and the diameter is that of your average hula hoop.  This is the only spot I could find in the house where I could assemble it without drilling a hole in my ceiling.  My sister is the lucky homeowner who will have to break out her drill once I give this to my niece.

These little butterfly clips hold open the entryway in case she wants to drape it over the head of her bed or something.


 
I'd seen a couple of tutorials for canopies this past summer and I ended up following the one I found in my Family Fun magazine because it was the least complex.  Aside from the hula hoop, there were just three main ingredients:  felt, tulle/sheer fabric, and glue - lots and lots of glue.  Can I just say that I love draping tulle and whatever that sheer purple fabric is?  It's so forgiving for those of us who have trouble cutting straight lines!

I used a couple different tutorials for making the felt flowers.  The loopy flowers, the pointy flowers, and the big hibiscus-looking flowers were all so simple to make - especially since I cheated and substituted glue for some of the sewing steps.  Oh!  I finally found a use for the dragonflies Susannah and I made last month!



Pin It

16 comments:

  1. This is beatiful, Megan! Your niece will love it. I love all the different flowers around the top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This. Is. GORGEOUS! Seriously, you really rocked this one! That is going to be one loudly squealing little munchkin Saturday morning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am your newest follower, and guess what?! It is linky party day on my blog! Please come enter the giveaway and link up to my Strut Your Stuff Party! I love your blog!
    -Dana, Saturday Mornings

    http://danajeanward.blogspot.com/2010/12/50-american-express-giveaway-ends.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very sweet! Where will you end up installing it?
    Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Family Fun magazine. What a great project! Thanks for commenting on my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE it and I bet it cost you WAY less than the one I bought my Little Cutie from Hearthsong, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm super impressed! Come link up: http://gigglesglitzandglam.blogspot.com/2010/12/glam-party-8.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. How exciting...Your niece has a very talented aunt!

    Take care,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Soooo sweet!!! Thanks so much for linking this up at gettin' crafty on hump day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the comment at rosyredbuttons.blogspot.com. This is Darling!! I've been thinking about buying one and the thought never even crossed my mind to make it... weird I know. :) Great job, following you now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stunning! I bet your niece loves it!

    The felt flowers are really pretty and effective, and the purple organza and tulle layers are lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am in love! And now I miss my craft linky. For now, I'll just have to keep checking back, but hopefully this won't last ling and I can start it up again. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, this is SO gorgeous!!! Am loving it! Would happily sleep under such one ... and dream of fairies ... :-)

    ReplyDelete

Comments. I like 'em. If you have a question please email me (my email is on the sidebar) and I promise I'll reply in a timely fashion.