Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Easter Cookies: Simple and Not So Simple

Our local Moms' Group had their annual Easter egg hunt this weekend and it gave me an opportunity to try out some of the cute Easter recipes I've seen floating around in blogland these past few weeks.  

Dana at Made shared her recipe for these cute cookies along with a tutorial that is oh-so-helpful.  They're supposed to be little Easter eggs hidden in the grass!  I did mine slightly differently, though.  I didn't want any of the Easter designs on my M&M's to be visible, so I pressed them onto the top of the cookies before baking rather than mixing them into the dough.  They're cute, delicious, and simple to make - they've earned a permanent spot in my recipe box for sure!

Misty at Creative Itch made some chick cookies that inspired me to try my hand at decorating sugar cookies with royal icing...intimidating for the likes of me, but they turned out fairly cute.


Simple design, yes.  Overall, not so simple for a first-timer, though.  I wasn't expecting the process to be so time consuming and I still have a few technique kinks to work out.  I'm sure I'll improve with more practice.  If anyone's curious, I used this tried and true sugar cookie recipe from Bake at 350.  I also used a royal icing recipe from there, too, and I was happy with it - but keep in mind that I'm no expert in this arena.


There you have it.  Some cute cookie recipes that I highly recommend trying if you've got the time before you begin your Easter festivities!


Pin It

16 comments:

  1. Awesome Cookies Megan...Jax is begging to make cookies and sadly I have been a bit flustered and busy with other things at the moment! We'll definitely spark out a few of these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute cute Cute! I love the little chicks but thanks for providing the simple recipe because that is probably more my speed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those cookies! Those chicks are adorable but I bet they were a lot of work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your chick cookies, Megan! It doesn't look like it was your first time decorating sugar cookies. They look professional. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cute! I love all of your edible crafts - they are just amazing! You are seriously talented! These are definitely too pretty to eat! : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for linking up to Share the Wealth Wednesday at www.laughloveandcraft.com
    ~Laura~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your baking/decorating skills always make my jaw drop! Seriously, you have a gift! :) Love those little chicks and the "incubating" pic is too cute! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the incubating...so funny! I couldn't make the not-so-simple versions to save my life, but I might have to give the simple version a whirl! Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  9. those chicks are so cute! they might not be easy but you pulled them off beautifully!. thank you for stopping by the dragons fairy tail and leaving a comment! I love having visitors and getting comments.

    thanks!
    kathryn
    www.thedragonsfairytail.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love those chicks!!! Soooo adorable. Thanks for linking up to Your Whims Wednesday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. They both look great! I love that the chicks are incubating:-)

    Kerri

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are cute. I like your simple and not so simple comparisons.

    ReplyDelete
  13. adorable and i bet they were delish too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The chicks in an egg are adorable....I agree with Kerri that the chicks look as if they are incubating.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awww awww!!! LOVE THEM! I love how you put "incubating" on the photo. You are so clever! I normally burn my cookies, so it's so amazing to see other people's cookie creation.

    ReplyDelete

Comments. I like 'em. If you have a question please email me (my email is on the sidebar) and I promise I'll reply in a timely fashion.