Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Holy Hockey Puck Cake, Batman!

All the black buttercream on this thing will turn your tongue and lips a beautiful, bright magenta!  Not very manly.  The cake itself, though, was right up my husband's alley. 





It's always a bit of a struggle for me to come up with good cake idea for a guy because I tend to specialize in "cute," not manly.  This time I think I nailed it, though.  My husband is a big Canucks fan (Vancouver, B.C.'s NHL team...you know, ice hockey).  So how perfect is that giant hockey puck cake?  I also made little fondant hockey sticks and hockey pucks to adorn some of the cupcakes...so I guess some "cute" kinda snuck in there.  Ooops!  Betcha didn't think hockey gear could be so dainty and cutesy.
After the cake was completed I had it signed by Ryan Kesler, my husband's favorite player.  How did I a get an NHL star to do such a huge favor for me?  Let's just say I have connections.  By the way, thanks, Ryan - he LOVED it!  (Yeah, we're on first name basis, Ryan and I.)



I'm not sure it comes through in the photos, but the base that the cake is on is supposed to be a sheet of ice - think hockey rink.  I used white candy melts tinted with a bit of blue gel.  I found some neat sparkle sprinkles at the craft store that I added before the candy was set.  I also used them on the hockey puck cupcakes, but like I said, I think the effect was more impressive in person.  Can you see 'em?



The Canucks face off with the Chicago Blackhawks in the first round of the Stanley Cup playoffs this year.  I think the first game is tonight so I'm hoping that this post will bring us luck, mainly for my husband's sake.  For the most part, I'm just a fan by association.  It' hard not to have a couple of t-shirts and some winter accessories with the team's logo when the guy who buys your Christmas presents is a huge fan.  It's also hard not to know at least the most basic stats when you live with said huge fan.  I do enjoy hockey, but only in a tertiary, noncommittal kind of way, and I probably pay too much attention to a team's color and logo design to be considered a true fan.

Either way:  Go, Canucks, Go!

I've Been Featured Button   


Pin It

16 comments:

  1. They're great! (even if it is a Canuck's cake...jkidding they dud very well this season--unlike the Flames). It is very manly & I hope it brings/brought them luck. From Flames country...me

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a seriously impressive cake!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cake and the cupcakes are fantastic! You're talented. The autograph is a really fun touch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this ! I am your 409th follower !!!!!


    http://sailingwithbarefeet.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! What a great job! MAD Skillz! I am a Chicagoan and therefore have to friendly cheer for both teams even though the outlook looks WAY better for the Canucks :)
    Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yeah! Definitely going to make this cake. I love the sheet of ice, the puck, the stick and the better Canuck emblem you used. The question is should I make this at every round they make it to?
    Thanks for sharing!! Visiting you from making the world cuter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just found your blog and am your newest follower! These treats look yummy and perfectly created (I can't make a pretty dessert to save my life)! Thanks for creating such a fab blog full of inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this idea, I've got a my hubby is a hockey player, this would be a great birthday cake for him! I'd love for you to share this at my Share the Wealth Wednesday Link Party over at www.laughloveandcraft.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is amazing! so cool.

    new follower!
    kathryn
    www.thedragonsfairytail.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun & festive cake!

    Thanks for linking to Creative Juice! Hope to see you back this week...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your hockey puck cake is so beautifully done! What a precision job with the buttercream -- fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. another amazing cake, and that signature is really something, I think it belongs in the hockey hall of fame! thanks so much for sharing on Craft schooling Sunday!

    ReplyDelete

Comments. I like 'em. If you have a question please email me (my email is on the sidebar) and I promise I'll reply in a timely fashion.