Monday, October 24, 2011

Fall Cake with Edible Acorns and Leaves!



This cake I recently made for my sister's birthday is the epitome of Fall (for me, at least).  It highlights all of my favorite things that I associate with the season:  nuts (I love all nuts, but acorns are my favorite), pumpkin spice (the aroma and the flavor are unbeatable!), and brightly colored leaves (Maple in particular).



I took cues from the book Hello, Cupcake for almost all aspects of this cake.  I used its Pumpkin Spice recipe and my own recipe for cream cheese frosting.  A note about cream cheese frosting:  it's kinda translucent so you have to add a pretty hefty layer if you're covering a dark-colored cake.  The more frosting the better, I say, so no biggie.  

I also followed the book's method for making candy leaves - with just one alteration.  I tried using real leaves like the authors suggested but I had major issues with them getting inexorably stuck to the candy.  Very frustrating!  Luckily I had plenty of candy melts and using some fake leaves from the dollar store did the trick!  I'd say that close to half of them broke during handling, but they're so easy and quick that we just made more than we needed.  Besides, the mistakes melt in your mouth and make the process even more enjoyable!


Again, we (I'm saying "we" because I had my daughter alongside me throughout the process) used Hello Cupcake's method for making little acorns out of Kraft caramels...with another slight alteration.  I thought the addition of sprinkles made them too bulky.  The dipped chocolate by itself makes a mighty fine acorn cap, don't you think?

There were plenty of caramels for my daughter to experiment with while I was acorn-crafting.  She made a lot of worm shapes that she formed into letters - mostly "L" and "U."  Her creations bore a striking resemblance to Barbie limbs!  The people at Kraft must've used Barbie's skin tone as inspiration for their caramel color because it's an exact match.  I wish I'd taken a photo of the tray of Barbie body parts in our fridge.




Pin It

26 comments:

  1. ooh, fabulous to look at, and yummy. what a great combination!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an absolutely gorgeous cake - you apparently love fall for the same reasons I do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so beautiful! Wonderful job and what a lucky sister!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a beautiful cake! Your sister is so lucky. I bet it tastes as good as it looks. I am a new follower from Get Your Craft On. Vicky from www.messforless.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a beautiful cake - you are very talented! I love the autumn theme and especially the acorns.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so beautiful, Megan. I LOVE the acorns, and the leaves are gorgeous. Your cakes always amaze!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. This looks too pretty to eat. :) You did a great job.
    jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely post.. This looks awesome..Great Blog you have here, .I'm officially following ya with smiles.. I also wanted to know if you would like to join in on my project..? Project PINK.. Painting the blog world PINK for a day.. Breast Cancer Awareness on Oct 3oth..!! Over 40 blogs so far are in.. Please check it out - it'll mean SO MUCH to me.. Wishing you a lovely week..http://theartsygirlconnection.blogspot.com/2011/10/paint-your-blog-pink-awareness-faith.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so clever! Love those cute acorns

    Jenny
    www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. The details - wow - awesome job!

    Love for you to link up at:
    "Made by ME" Linky Party at JAQS at http://www.jaqsstudio.com/2011/10/made-by-me-4-linky-party-and-features.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Seriously, Megan. This is so elegant. I've added it to my "Someday, my prince" file on Pinterest. If this old lady ever marries her darling, it will be a fall wedding with sunflowers and a crimson dress...and a version of your gorgeous cake. Thanks so much for your inspirational blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can I say...YUM! Those acorn look scrum-dilly-umptious! I soooo wish you'd taken a picture of the barbie limbs...that woulda been hysterical!!! hahahahaha!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi! Can over from Look What I Made with Kara... Wanted to invite you to link up this recipe on my Tasty Tuesday party... the link closes tonight, but you can always come over next week if you miss it. Hope to see you there!
    http://nap-timecreations.blogspot.com/2011/10/pumpkin-crunch-cake-and-tasty-tuesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous!
    I just discovered your site and the name cracks me up!

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow! majorly impressed with the leaves and acorns!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your cake! You don't really appreciate all the details until you see the close up shots. I especially like the texture of the leaves and the icing and how they mimic each other.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ok..I coming over from Tidy Mom via your linky and I love, one your blog's title and what you wanted it to be and two, the cake plus its decorations. Very nice!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my goodness! It's just so beautiful - I love everything about it. You did a wonderful job! I'd like to invite you to share on Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    http://www.wellseasonedlife.com/2011/10/sweet-indulgences-sunday-28.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! What a gorgeous and delicious cake! The leaves and acorns came out beautifully! I loved learning about the techniques you learned to create them!

    Thank you so much for sharing your talent on "A Little Birdie Told Me..." Tuesday at Rook No. 17!

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  21. This s so beautiful, how could you bring yourselves to cut into it? Your blog name has me chuckling.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yet another gorgeous cake! Nice work, girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. What an amazing cake. I love all things Fall - especially leaves - so this is right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete

Comments. I like 'em. If you have a question please email me (my email is on the sidebar) and I promise I'll reply in a timely fashion.