Friday, January 27, 2012

Forest Friends Baby Shower

Over the last couple years we've seen many fabulous parties with the woodland creature theme, haven't we?  I've been patiently biding my time just waiting for an opportunity to get my paws on a cute critter theme - so needless to say I pounced on the invitation to help my friend's mom plan her baby shower.  She registered for a lot of the Carter's "Forest Friends" line of bedding and baby gear so it was only natural that this should be the theme for the whole event.  Cute little forest critters galore!


My favorite part was coming up with the centerpieces.  Mod Podge and cute "Deep in the Forest" scrapbook papers I ordered from Oriental Trading spruced up these dollar store vases with ease.  Even easier (and affordable) was that I used pine cones and chestnuts that my daughter and I collected from our neighborhood to fill them.  I also put a dent in my yarn scraps by wrapping styrofoam balls and adding them to the mix for a little color.


The shower was back in October, so I was able to take advantage of all the neat scrapbook papers the craft store carries in Autumn.  I cut some into circles and placed them beneath the centerpieces and I also made lots of flags for buntings to decorate the tables.  You can barely see it down in the corner of this photo, but A Subtle Revelry has the cutest sly fox printable that is the perfect size for buntings!  Or are they called banners?

My second favorite part?  The dessert table!  Three different flavors of cupcakes to choose from and the most delicious "Tree Bark."  It was actually a recipe for Halloween Candy Bar Bark, but I skipped the white chocolate drizzle (fo' shizzle) and the result was straight up tree bark.  Word. 


1. I borrowed the little tree cupcake toppers from a photo that I saw on Polka Dots and Pirates.  I made them using heavy scrapbook paper and an owl stamp, then hot glued a wooden craft pick to the back.

2. Free printable alert!  These cute, cute owl cupcake toppers were made using a download from Marabous.  I used my circle paper punch to punch out the owls and then glued them to some card stock. 

3.  Another free printable alert!  I always consult UCreate Parties when I'm planning so I wasn't surprised when I found these little bird cupcake toppers by Chickabug there.  They were the perfect topper for the toasted coconut bird nest cupcakes!

4. I used scraps of the "Deep in the Forest" paper and my trusty circle punch to make the critter cupcake toppers.  Recognize them from the centerpieces? 


The food table is pretty self explanatory.  It's food and it's on a table.  Not a lot to explain there.  I must give credit for two fabulous ideas I used, though.  Cedar rounds as stands for the platters - genius!  They fit perfectly with the forest friend theme and they smelled nice, too!  


Using pine cones to display the food tags...another genius idea that I did not come up with on my own.  This one came from a search I did on Kara's Party Ideas where I found a couple different people employing this idea (here and here). 



Card stock, some decorative paper punches, a few stamps and wooden craft picks.  Oh, and of course your trusty glue gun.  Easy as pickin' up a pine cone. 

  


Pin It

9 comments:

  1. You do such a nice job with parties!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unbelievably adorable, Megan! I love it all! I had to decide between "woodland" and "farm" for my youngest's birthday party next weekend, and I'm glad I went with farm because my woodland never would have lived up to this :) Awesome party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! I love that you used natural elements where ever you could! I would love for you to visit and Link Up at http://www.twindragonflydesigns.com/2012/01/inspiring-creativity_31.html
    xo
    Heather
    www.twindragonflydesigns.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so great! I love using natural elements in decorating and you did such a wonderful job! I'd love for you to share with my readers if you get a chance. Hope you have a wonderful weekend! http://www.momontimeout.com/2012/02/taking-timeout-thursday-no-15.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a cute party- I will be featuring it tomorrow on my Pity Party. Thanks for linking it up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are hosting our first Kitchen Fun and Crafty link party next Friday and would love for you to share this! Feel free to stop by and grab a party button! http://kitchenfunwithmy3sons.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of the best outdoor baby showers I’ve come across so far! I’ve been looking for some creative baby shower decorating ideas for boys and I'm really impressed with this one. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Comments. I like 'em. If you have a question please email me (my email is on the sidebar) and I promise I'll reply in a timely fashion.